Sweet potatoes are your best natural skin care source for two reasons. First, they are a great source of beta-carotene, the precursor to vitamin A. And, as you may remember from the blog I posted on March 27th, vitamin A improves the overall health of your skin.
But thats not all. Sweet potatoes are also rich in the B vitamin biotin. On one hand, too little biotin can result in dry and scaly skin (not to mention fatigue and muscle pain). But on the plus side, brittle, weak hair and nails are well known to get healthier with oral supplementation of this B vitamin.
A few delicious natural skin care recipes that include sweet potatoes are my favorite oven fries and whipped sweet potatoes.
- Cut a sweet potato into disks.
- Spray a cookie sheet with canola oil and place potato disks in single layer on the cookie sheet.
- Spray the potatoes with the canola oil.
- Sprinkle potatoes with cinnamon, then bake at 425°F for 2025 minutes, turning halfway through the cooking time.
- Goes great with a veggie or turkey burger and side salad.
Whipped Sweet Potatoes
- Peel and cut two sweet potatoes into large pieces.
- Steam until tender.
- Place in blender with two ounces apple juice.
- Add ? teaspoon nutmeg and pur?e until smooth.
- Great side dish to any free-range chicken meal.